Monday, January 16, 2023

Finding the Good

    What do eggs, avocados, spinach, mushrooms, and cauliflower have in common? What about peanuts, cashews, almonds, cinnamon, and black pepper?  Turkey and chicken?  These are all the nutrient-dense, incredibly healthy foods that I have been relying on to help me manage my PCOS.  Fruits like strawberries, raspberries, and bananas in moderation became my occasional sweet treats.  


    Want to know what else all of these foods have in common?

     I'm allergic to every. single. one.

    Oh, yes.  The plot thickens.

    Despite feeling much better after changing to healthier eating habits, I was continuing to suffer what I had thought were panic attacks.  Sometimes, out of nowhere, I'd feel like passing out and then my heart would start racing dangerously fast.  It wasn't until I realized those episodes only happened after I had eaten that I suspected it might be a food allergy, but I couldn't seem to pinpoint which food was causing it, as each meal was different.  And I had eaten those foods all my life without a problem.  Maybe it was all in my mind?

    So last week I made an appointment with an allergist, and sure enough, those "panic attacks" were actually an allergic reaction.  The one that sent me to the ER last year was actually anaphylaxis!  By God's mercy, it didn't kill me.  That would explain why breakfasts like the one pictured above, followed by a cup or two of cinnamon tea, were giving me issues.

    This news was both a big relief and a huge blow.  On the one hand, I now know which foods to avoid, thus avoiding any more dangerous episodes.  On the other hand, it means that a lot of foods that had become staples in my diet (and that I had really come to enjoy) have to be eliminated completely.  This is in addition to the sugar and carbs that I have already cut due to PCOS.  So, my diet has suddenly become even more restricted. 

    Dealing with this and coming up with things to eat has been very difficult.  Besides knowing I can never safely enjoy some of my favorite foods again, there is also the social aspect of not being able to enjoy those same foods with others, having to prepare separate meals for myself and my family, and not being able to dine out or partake in a lot of foods at others' homes.  There is a lot that I will have to learn to navigate.  

    But this seems to be the way life goes, and I can either despair and collapse in a puddle of tears, or I can choose to find the good in it and get to work.  I've already done the former and it hasn't really worked, so now we try the latter.  

    There really is quite a bit of good when I stop and count my blessings:

1.  Man doesn't live by bread alone, and I am so thankful to be able to feast on the Bread of Life any time, day or night, that I need or desire.

2.  I can eat.  Period.  I have the physical ability to eat, and I have access to food- any food I might need to fit into a new dietary plan.  Many people don't have that luxury, especially these days.  My ancestors didn't even have the luxury that I have, even with my "restricted" diet!

3. I won't have any more dangerous attacks!

4.  I will be healthier and stronger and better able to care for my family.

5.  I can still delight in preparing my family's favorite foods.  Even though I can't partake in eating those foods, I still enjoy the process of cooking it and seeing my family enjoy it.  I'm thankful that physical contact with my allergens doesn't seem to cause a problem.

6.  I have a very supportive husband who is doing everything he can to help me heal and to provide my earthly needs.

7.  I don't have cancer.  When they told me last year that I might have cancer, I was willing to do anything, follow any diet, avoid any foods, do any and every exercise possible that would mean even the slightest chance of healing.  Compared to that, this is very minor.  These dietary changes will provide at least some healing, all without a cancer diagnosis.

8.  I can still eat beef, pork, and fish.  Fish is especially healthy.  

9.  I can still eat chocolate!  It has to be without sugar, but I have found that it isn't necessarily the sugar I crave any more- it's the chocolate.  I have found a bar by Lindt that is 100% cacao (no sugar), and two or three little squares of that after a meal satisfies my craving.

10.  We will get to grow much of what we eat in the garden.  This is a dream we've always had, and here's the push that will get us there. 

11.  We will save money by not eating out!

    Even though I need to make even more changes than I had originally planned this year in regards to my diet, my pantry, and my garden, it isn't all bad.  Yes, I will miss some things, but maybe I will find some new favorites.  Feeling better is going to be a new favorite, at least!

    I don't intend for this to become a health food blog (I highly recommend the cowboy cookies I have posted here!), but I think documenting my progress every once in a while is going to help motivate me.  Those posts will be geared towards pantry stocking, eating frugally, gardening, and cooking for my family- many of the things this blog already focuses on- but with a slight twist.  I hope you'll bear with me.

12 comments:

  1. I am so, so sorry. I know where you are because I have walked that road and it is so hard. I got down to only 14 foods and they were things like buffalo and goat milk and other hard to obtain and expensive foods. I lived on those few foods for several years and had to keep vials of epinephrine and needles at the ready for any cross contamination reactions. I have to say it is okay to cry over this! Then we learned of an alternative practitioner in our area and so I prayed about it and felt I should make an appointment. About 15 months into seeing her I was able to eat anything after 27 years of food restrictions. .You are fortunate to have a practitioner in your state who was trained by the same Dr. She is Ann Beck, Austin, TX 512-343-2205. The treatment is based on kinesiology and homeopathics. We worked step by step to clear infections from my body, get my pH balanced, correct nutritional issues, etc. and I was cleared of all my food allergies in 15 months and off all my meds for asthma and allergies in 6 months. I have been working with her again as I had a genetic disease show up on my family and I have it as well. I have improved greatly with her help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lana, thank you! Your comment has given me hope! I will look into her practice and share this with Colton. I am so sorry you had to go through that and I'm glad you have no more restrictions. What a relief, and to be healed in such a short span with treatment (compared to how long you went with such a limited diet.) I have to carry an epi pen now as well, and while it makes me feel better having it, the thought of needing it has me a bit anxious and perhaps a little paranoid when it comes to eating. I am doing everything I can to beat this. I am trying to be optimistic but I can't promise there won't be any more tears.
      Thank you SO much for commenting and sharing this with me.

      Delete
  2. That must be so hard for you. I feel fortunate that i can eat most foods, except shellfish to whihc I have an allergy. I hope you can level things out. I know that an experienced dietitian can help enormously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Elizabeth. 💕

      Delete
  3. I developed food allergies in my teens, which was a long time ago when people thought allergies were in your head. It is hard to make the changes but so very worth it. I hope the new way of eating goes well for you and I’m glad you’ve figured out what was going on with your health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement! I am glad we figured it out, too, and now we can move forward. I am sorry that you have suffered from allergies, and I know all too well how it feels when people think something very real is all in your head. It sounds like you have done well with the changes you made.

      Delete
  4. You've got this, you have a beautiful family to support you and you have others praying for you. I will be lifting you up in prayers regularly myself and cheering you along on the side lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patsi! I really, truly appreciate that!

      Delete
  5. Kelsey, I'm on a very restricted diet as well and almost all of the things you mentioned are also on my "No" list. Something I do when we are invited out is take my own meal with me if we're going to a social occasion where food is going to be served. Like you, continuing to make foods that my family can eat is my joy . I feel blessed, as you do with the foods I can eat .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelsey, the comment about the restricted diet etc. was from me ,Cookie. I hit publish before I signed off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie, it is difficult having so many restrictions, but like you, I am counting my blessings and there are many. I love your attitude and outlook.

      Delete
  7. I'll be praying for you, Kelsey. And I have to praise your will and self control.
    It's not easy, but if it means you will be able to live a healthier and happier life, you will succed, I'm sure!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29