Monday, October 05, 2020

Cowboy Cookies

    


     With the arrival of autumn and cooler weather, I feel it is the perfect time to enjoy some baking.  Truth be told, I love to bake all year, but there is a particular coziness when the air is crisp outside and the kitchen is warmed by home-made goodness, filling the house with sweet, comforting aromas.

    Over the weekend, I baked a batch of cowboy cookies to share with friends.  I found the recipe in a cookbook, "Great Recipes from Texas", that I purchased at a garage sale.  While it was only my second time to make them, they were a huge hit!  Colton has declared them to be his absolute favorite cookie.  They have everything good in them-- chocolate chips, cinnamon, oats, coconut, and pecans.  I thought I would share the recipe with you here should you like to try them.

    First I must warn you that this recipe makes a LOT of cookies!  But I am of the opinion that one can never have too many cookies.  They are perfect for sharing or taking to gatherings, and although I have yet to try it (they always disappear before I get a chance), I'm sure they could be frozen for later.  I have never tried to halve this recipe, but I have frozen cookie dough with success, so that is an option too.  Expect about 8 dozen cookies from this recipe!



~Cowboy Cookies~

3 sticks butter (1 1/2 cup), softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 cups chocolate chips
3 cups oats
2 cups shredded coconut
2 cups chopped pecans

Cream together butter and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat.  In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients.  Bake at 350*F for 10-12 minutes.

Enjoy!





7 comments:

  1. I have a walnut tree, so free walnuts. Think I could substitute walnuts for the pecans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! How wonderful to have a walnut tree.

      Delete
  2. I love big batches as cookies freeze so well. I will have to try these soon ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies sound great, I cant wait to bake them and have saved your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you want to try them, Mel! I don't think you'll be disappointed 😉

      Delete
  4. I spent about thirty minutes searching for a Cowboy Cookie recipe before I came across yours. I loved that yours made a big batch, didn't call for sweetened flaked coconut and didn't need to be chilled first. I'm an avid cookie baker and I can say that these are utterly delicious. They are the perfect blend of crisp on the edges and soft and chewy in the middle with yummy oat, brown sugar and butter flavors shining through. I'm printing your recipe and will be returning to it often! I adore that this batch makes enough to freeze, share with friends, feed a crowd, etc. I have a nut allergy so I just omitted the pecans and they still turned out great. Thankful you picked up that cookbook and shared these online!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29