Monday, January 23, 2023

House Beautiful

Banana bread baked during the week, partly devoured by my family 

    It was a rough week trying to find my footing with my new dietary changes.  I spent most of it in the kitchen, and one of the things I learned is that the success of this is going to come down to planning.  My sanity and energy levels depend on it.  By the end of the week, I felt completely overwhelmed, and the rest of the housework had been all but neglected.

    Being the compassionate husband that he is and seeing my weariness, Colton offered to take the boys out for a day of fun on Saturday so that I could gather my strength and recharge from the emotional toll that the stresses of the week had taken on me.  Being the introvert that I am, I very gratefully accepted.

    So what did I do with my time?  Well, I cleaned, decluttered, and organized, of course!  It may sound strange, but doing that really helps me when I'm overwhelmed.  Bringing order to chaos, simplifying, and setting things right- this is what calms my mind.

    I set the tone with an up beat bluegrass gospel CD (does anyone else play CDs anymore?) and opened the curtains, bringing in the natural light.  I put some laundry in the wash and some sweet potatoes in the oven for meal prep, and I happily set to work.

    I tackled some of the things that haven't been working for us.  James, who just turned two last month, has learned how to open the child locks on cabinets and drawers, open his baby gates, and climb out of his crib.  He's a little Houdini, that kid!  (He can also count to 8. Time to call Mensa.)  So I moved things around where he can't get to them, and as you know, that has sort of a domino effect.

    I sorted through John's art supplies, purging some and getting the rest all organized onto shelves and into folders and bins.  He is really into art and creating things and, as it usually happens with creative spaces, things had gotten pretty messy.  He likes to keep all of his paper scraps in case he needs them for a project.  I wonder who he gets that from...

    I got out all of the toys and dust bunnies that had found their way under the china cabinet and tv armoire;  I vacuumed under the furniture cushions; I even got our family photos for this year put into my collected thrift store frames and set them on the mantle.

Thrifted frames ready to be cleaned

    Even though I enjoyed the bit of peace and quiet that being alone afforded me, as I cleaned and puttered, I felt so blessed to have a family to take care of.  All of the things I had tidied were tokens of those who lived there, signs of the life we enjoy together in our home.  Work though it is, I relish making my home a haven for my loved ones.  By the time Colton messaged me to tell me they were coming home, I was recharged and ready to welcome them.

    "Mom, you made the house look so beautiful!" John said, delighted.  

    But I know that what actually makes the house so beautiful...are the people in it.

~

I have a fun post planned for Thursday, so check back!


7 comments:

  1. Kelsey, your post made my heart sing! I could feel everything you were saying as I read your post, it describes the way I feel about my family and home. It does my heart good to know that there are younger women who embrace the role of motherhood and family in such a beautiful way. I pray that you will soon have this new way of eating under control and that your new normal doesn't seem so intimidating any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patsi! Your comment made me smile. I feel I have the best, most rewarding job! And I'm grateful for women like you who teach and set a good example for the younger generations.

      Delete
  2. Sweet boys always make their Mamas heart glad. Mine are all grown up and they can still do that!

    The diet restrictions will get easier. There is indeed a grieving period when you lose foods which always felt silly and selfish to me but it is what it is and it seems to be necessary. It may help you, as it did me, to make a list of what you can eat which helps change the focus to the positive. Once you get it figured out it will be so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, it does seem silly and strange to grieve over food, but you are right. It plays such a big part in our lives and goes beyond the food itself, with ties to emotions, social bonding, tradtions, comfort, memories, etc., that it becomes a bigger loss than, "Well, just don't eat xyz anymore." But as the days pass, I am finding solutions and forging my plans. I have a lot of support, so that helps immensely.

      Delete
  3. You are so right about what makes a house a home. I echo what Lana has said about the grieving period and making a list. Things do get so much easier and I found that my family really liked what I was eating so more often than not we all ate the same thing for dinner. One thing I had to learn and perhaps this will help you as you navigate the changes, there was no longer such a thing as breakfast foods for me. A meal was a meal and sometimes I had a burger and a salad for breakfast. I found that having soup for breakfast, as they do in other cultures, warmed my soul. Sandwich
    wraps could be made using lettuce or cabbage leaves in place of the bread. You're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie, I fought it at first but I realize that I just can't cook separate meals every day, so for supper I think we will be eating the same thing for the most part, like you said. I agree about breakfast. Not being able to have eggs eliminates most breakfast foods for me. I have been eating things like bacon and cabbage, or sausage (seasoned by me) and Brussels sprouts, but I do like your suggestion of soup. I can still cook a traditional breakfast for my family and it would be no trouble to heat up a bowl of soup for myself if I make a big pot at the beginning of the week. Thank you so much for the ideas and prayers!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE your post!
    It is so easy for us to get lost in all the can'ts... and we miss on the cans and let sorrow and grieve fill our hearts.
    Your post made me want to make our house more cozy and get rid of all the clutter that I've been postponing for a while...
    I've made a note to myself some time ago, to only buy things that Nuno (my hubby) and I really like, isntead of following the trends, like I did in the past.
    And your post made me reinforce that commitment!
    Thank you Kelsey and God bless!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29