Monday, January 09, 2023

A Healthier Pantry Plan {and a Deal Alert!}

    My pantry is ever evolving based on the needs of our family, and it has seen many changes over the years.  With some new health challenges that have arisen, this year it will be changing yet again.

    I have already made some changes to my diet which have helped immensely.  For me, this has to be a lifestyle change as opposed to a temporary diet, so I am taking baby steps as I learn about which foods nourish my body and which foods are harmful.  This means that what I stock in my pantry is going to look a little different from here on out, and that's ok! We've always wanted to eat healthier as a family, and this is that push that will get us there.  

    As I keep a deep pantry, I still have many of the foods that don't fit into the "healthy" category for me, but I have come up with a plan.  Right now, I am slowly working through those items and incorporating them into my menu, and as they run out, I replace them with healthier alternatives.  

    In my monthly planner, there is a spot for pantry/freezer/refrigerator inventory.  I write down the things that I need to use up (whether for health reasons or because they are nearing expiration) and I come up with my menu based on that.  Yes, it means I am still cooking some of the "off limits" foods, but I am careful to moderate how much of those things I eat.  I find that baby steps are much less overwhelming when it comes to overhauling something like this!

     At the same time, I am working through my freezers.  We have plans to renovate the room that we have our freezers in in a few months, so I am trying to make them easier to move by emptying them out a bit.

    One of the benefits of doing this is that I'm not buying much at the grocery store right now, aside from perishable things like milk and fresh fruits and vegetables and bargains if I find any.  (I'm not going to pass up a bargain, especially if my stock is dwindling!)  It's also showing me just how far the foods I have stocked will get me.  How many weeks or months worth of this or that do I have?  How much will I need to keep on hand once I find alternatives?

    I know that most of the time, healthier foods are more expensive.  This will add a new element of challenge to shopping on a budget.  But I tell myself that buying healthy food is still going to be cheaper than all those doctor bills!  I also believe that health, especially in light of all that I experienced last year, is well worth investing in.  For me, that means better food, as there is a direct link between our health and what we eat.  I've always know it, but now it's a priority (and a necessity.)

    One of the things that is going to help me will be getting the garden going.  We didn't have one last year, and I really miss it.  It hurts me to pay $7 for a bunch of kale when it is one of the easiest things for me to grow!  Woe is me if some of it goes bad in the refrigerator before I can use it!  This week I need to go through my seeds and look at my planting chart and start making my plan. 

    This is going to be a learning (and relearning) process for me.  I will share as I go in hopes that it might help someone else make some healthier changes.  Sometimes we just need a little motivation and encouragement.  Sometimes we need ideas.  If you have ever done a healthy pantry overhaul, please share any tips you have in the comments.  

     And now for the bargain alert that I have to share!  As I said, I am not really buying much at the store at this point.  That is unless I find a deal that fits into my healthier lifestyle plan.  The other day when I was at Dollar Tree, I almost didn't check the food section as I doubted I would find anything good.  But I just can't pass up an opportunity for bargain shopping for the pantry and I'm so glad I looked!  This is what I found:


    Pink Himalayan salt!  A while back, maybe a year ago, they carried this but by the time I found out about it, my Dollar Tree had sold out.  They didn't restock since it was just one of their temporary products.  But now they have it again!

    For a price comparison, I checked my local grocery store. The cheapest Himalayan pink salt they had was their store brand for .24 per ounce.  The salt at Dollar Tree comes to just a fraction of that at .08 per ounce!  (A one pound bag is $1.25.)

    I am not sure if this is at all Dollar Trees or if it was just mine, but I think it's worth a look.  Let us know if you find any where you are!

    Happy pantry building!

  

14 comments:

  1. In Baton Rouge The Dollar Tree also has Himalayan salt!, for anyone in this area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I would approach changing to a healthier pantry the same way as you. Little by little, item by item as they need to be replaced and, in the meantime, I would consume them in small amounts, if my health allowed that option. Otherwise, I would donate them to friends, family, church members, etc and just start over. Are you eating healthier in general or do you have a specific plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsi, as a family it will be healthier in general. For me specifically, there will be some off-limits-to-me foods that my family will still be able to enjoy. I am dealing with PCOS, which is insulin and inflammation driven, so I have to watch my sugar and carb intake. It is basically a diabetic diet. Beyond that, I am still working out which things trigger my symptoms. I know that gluten and sugar do for sure, but the verdict is still out on dairy. If it turns out that I can't tolerate dairy, for example, I will still buy it for my family (because I believe it's healthy in general) and find an alternative for myself. So it will be a bit of overlapping between me and the rest of the family, but for the most part we will be eating the same things as each other with just a few alterations. In other words, I won't be cooking everyone separate meals.

      Delete
    2. Kelsey, both of my daughters have PCOS so I'm familiar with what you're talking about, and the changes needed. You got this!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Patsi! I feel very motivated by the progress I've made so far!

      Delete
    4. Oops, I meant the *jury* is still out on the dairy 😅

      Delete
  3. When I had to change my diet due to autoimmune issues I had to completely stop using all those items that were not on the prescribed food list. Mostly it was canned vegetables, chicken, tuna, salmon, and dehydrated food. To this day I cannot eat any of those foods because of their histamine levels. However those foods have not gone to waste as I used them to make meals for friends who have been ill, who are caretakers and could use a day of not making meals, and food pantries. Everything I eat now is fresh or frozen . I can use alternative flours such as tiger nut and cassava and occasionally almond flour.
    All the herbs I grow get frozen too. We had followed a Paleo diet with intermittent fasting for years, so I look at the changes that have had to be made as a tweak. My autoimmune issues came from a medication that was given to me after I broke my femur in 3 places along with my hip. As my husband always says "pay the farm or pay the pharmacy".
    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie, how terrible that your issues came from medication! I love your husband's saying. When my doctor told me that she would put me on a diabetic medication, that was my clue that I could manage my issues with diet. I said no to the prescription and she was ok with that. From the research that I have done and from what I have experienced with the changes I've made, it can be completely controlled with those changes at my stage. (For everyone reading, be sure you check with your doctor on things like that. I am not a medical professional.)
      I am glad you found what works for you, even if it may have been a learning curve. I love that you blessed others with the food you could no longer eat. I, too, will continue to make my jams and jellies and bake cookies because I enjoy the process and they make great gifts, even if I cannot consume those things myself.
      PCOS is not technically an autoimmune condition, so I should throw out that disclaimer, but they act so similarly and have overlapping properties to the point that some call it autoimmune. I will look into the things you've mentioned. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Kelsey!
    Around here we had to make some ajustments to our pantry also a few years ago.
    My husband had kidney failure (autoimmune disease), so we had to change his diet and althought sometimes we still indulge in this or that, most of the time he has to watch what he eats.
    And because I do all the cooking, it's up to me to see what I have in the pantry and put on the plate! ;)
    We also have changed from sea salt to Himalayan salt and a few days ago, I stocked up on Himalayan salt at the supermarket, because it was at 0.99 for 500gr.
    Another thing we try to do is eat things with less salt and use more aromatic herbs, watch our sugar intake, etc...
    In 1 Corinthians 6.19-20, says "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
    So, we have to take care of God's Temple as best as we can, right?
    Hum... now that I think about it, I'm going to print this verse and put it on my fridge door...
    Lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, that is a great verse to put on the fridge! I think I will follow suit and do the same. I hope your husband is doing well. I know diet plays a major part when it comes to health, and it sounds like you have found what works for you.

      Delete
  5. Oh, and instead of milk (I have a bit of intolerance to caseine. The doctor thought it was intolerance to lactose, but it was to casein, wich is the protein present in milk) I try to drink oat "milk".
    I tried soy drink, but it had so many components that were not healthy, so I searched and I love the taste of oat drink.
    I buy mine at Aldi or Lidl, because they are the ones with fewer ingredients and none has those weird components, that no one knows where they come from.
    Hope this helps, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am allergic to oats, but my sister really likes oat milk too. I have been making my own pecan milk (one of the few nuts I'm not allergic too) and even though it isn't thick or creamy, it has a really good flavor.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Kelsey!
    I'm so sorry for answering so late, but life around here has taken some twists and turns. But God is with us. :)
    I haven't tried pecan milk, but if it is good for you and your health, then it's the right choice.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29