Thursday, July 20, 2023

Thrifty Thursday #10 ~ Keep a List

    As I wrote last week, being frugal does not mean living a life of deprivation.  From time to time, we are going to see things we want to buy and think of things we'd like to have.  Inevitably, expenses will also come up as we manage our homes and things will need to be purchased.  In order to keep track of these wants and needs, I suggest keeping a list of them.  

   { I was recently inspired to do this by Mrs. White in her post about keeping a "wish book". }

    As it wouldn't be prudent (or possible) to buy everything we want or need all at once, making a list can help us prioritize these things and see where we need to focus our efforts.  Until our budget allows for a purchase, it is fun to dream and plan, and it can serve as extra motivation to save in the meantime. 

    Keeping a list is handy when you are on the hunt for something.  If you like to shop at thrift stores or garage sales, referring to your list can help you stay focused on what you are looking for so that you don't forget anything.  This is also a good reminder to watch for sales on the items you want so that you can avoid paying full price.  In both instances, remember that It Pays to Wait.  A list can help you do that.

    Here is my own little book I made from things I had on hand:


    I have different categories: books, home, garden, preparedness, homeschool, beauty (self-care, clothes), and miscellaneous.  I also made sections for Colton and the boys.  This is so I can write down things they need or little things that they mention they want and use that as a sort of gift guide.  If there is an occasion and I need a gift for them, or if someone else asks, I can refer to my book.


    I did get a little carried away in the decorating process, but fun is part of the point.  I am thinking of writing a crafty post...if you are interested in my process and a more detailed look inside, please let me know in the comments!

Edit: Here is a detailed look inside!

    Before I close, I want to offer a word of caution.  It is so important to be content with what we have, as opposed to longing for the things we don't.  This book isn't meant to inspire any sort of materialism, covetousness, or discontent, but rather as a fun and useful tool to help you reach your savings goals while enjoying some little pleasures along the way.  So please, enjoy this activity but let it serve you and not the other way around.  Remember to lay up your treasure in Heaven.💕


15 comments:

  1. We find it really helpful to have a list for thrift stores because it is so easy to get carried away there. Hubby has it on his phone and always reads it aloud as we are going through the parking lot into the store. It really works!

    This time of year I am keeping a lookout for summer items we may need next year on clearance. I just bought a replacement umbrella for the deck to put away for next summer at a very good price.

    Thank you for that heavenly reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, I had to giggle at your hubby reading you the list on your way into the thrift store. If Colton did that to me, it would translate to "This is what we are buying and nothing else." Lol
      Great job finding the umbrella! Looking for seasonal clearance touches on next week's topic, as they really go hand in hand.

      Delete
    2. Lana, we refer to our list before going into a store too! It does indeed work!

      Delete
  2. I think this is an excellent idea, also complete with your words of caution. I read once, that a family put their list on their refrigerator. The more expensive the item that they felt they needed (not wanted, there's a difference) the longer they had to wait and think it over. Also, I think it's a good idea that you have to stay focused. I get impressed by a great sale, and might buy something I wouldn't normally buy and don't need. andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about sales, Andrea! The list does help one reevaluate an item's importance. Waiting and thinking it over really can help avoid unnecessary purchases. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I keep similar lists on my phone, but really like the idea of having it on paper as well. I would like to see more of your little book, please.

    I find it helpful to refer to the list before heading to or into a store. It's a reminder that may or may not be needed!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsi, you might laugh but I never learned how to create lists on my phone! I have paper lists everywhere, though- in my purse, on the fridge, on my nightstand. I have to declutter them regularly but it's better than having them clutter my mind! Lol. I decided to give my "wants and needs" a more permanent, put-together home. I will share the inside in an upcoming post.

      Delete
  4. AnonymousJuly 21, 2023

    “I am thinking of writing a crafty post...if you are interested in my process and a more detailed look inside, please let me know in the comments!”

    Yes, please! Thank you in advance. 🌼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'll have a post on it very soon. Thank you for your interest!

      Delete
  5. AnonymousJuly 21, 2023

    A crafty post ? Oh, yes please. I love your writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your kind comment made my day. I'll have a crafty post very soon!

      Delete
  6. AnonymousJuly 23, 2023

    Kelsey I think this is a great idea. In our family we all get asked (and ask each other) what would you like for your Birthday? What would you like for Christmas? Its seen as helpful to actually say. But often when asked I would go blank! I learned to write a list in the back of my diary... as I thought of things. Also I started to ask even if it seemed like an odd request... ie my daughter asked me what would I like for my birthday and I said mylar bags... and that is what she got me! It is so much better to get something you need or want so be ready if asked! Other times I have told the ladies at the thrift store what I am looking for... and they help me look. I have gone in another day and they tell me "guess what came in!" and they saved it for me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the problem of going blank when people ask me too! With John's birthday, I really thought to plan ahead and start taking mental notes of what he would like in advance so I'd have an answer when people asked. (I picked things at various price points so people would have a choice and not feel under any obligations or pressure to spend more than they were comfortable with.) He ended up loving everything he got, and it made it so much easier on the gift givers because they didn't have wonder or guess what to get him. It's a win/win. Now that I have my book, I won't have to try and remember things!
      I love that the thrift store ladies know what you are looking for. The ladies at our local thrift store know me well by now, too. A couple of them have my phone number and call me when they get something in I might want!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of writing it all in one place. I sometimes make a list on my phone, but forget it's there! I'm a paper person, so a purse sized notebook would be great to carry around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a paper person too, Debbie! A purse sized notebook would be great. With back-to-school season upon us, now is the time to pick one up at a good price! I have a craft post coming up showing how I decorated my book. The same ideas could easily be applied to a pocket spiral or something like it.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29