Friday, July 21, 2023

At the Cottage ~ July 21, 2023

    This month has seen some changes here at the cottage.  My aunt kindly offered us a set of wood framed beds for the boys.  They are very special, as they are the ones my cousins slept in.  We felt James was finally big enough to transition into a regular bed, so last week we picked them up.  They had been in storage for about 20 years, so I gave them a good cleaning and polished them up with my homemade wood polish: equal parts vinegar and olive oil with a few drops of orange essential oil for scent.  They came up beautifully.  I also got the construction themed sheets washed up that I bought on clearance.


    We'd had one of those mattress-in-a-box mattresses in their closet for a good year or so just waiting for this occasion.  We found it on Craigslist, new and sealed up in the box, for $100 (tax free).  This one became John's.  It is high quality and when we finally took it out of the package and it started to unroll, we found that it came with two pillows!  I have them stored away for guests until the boys' pillows need replacing.  In addition to this, I was able to find a mattress protector on sale for 20% off, so we really saved in the bedding area.

    All of this had sort of a ripple effect in their room.  As we moved things around, I cleaned smudges off the walls (Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are a new tool in my cleaning arsenal), cleaned the floors and baseboards, and washed the windows.  It looked and smelled so fresh.  The boys were thrilled to see their room all made over, especially James, as this was a milestone for him.

    John had his share of milestones, too.  He turned six and lost his first tooth!  We have been watching a children's baking competition lately, which he is really interested in.  I promised I would let him help me bake cupcakes for his birthday.  I frosted, as it was getting close to bedtime by the time the cakes cooled, but I let him lick the beaters, so he wasn't too upset.


    Can you believe I didn't eat a single cupcake?!  I am on week 5 of 13 in my gut healing program.  I hated to miss out on something for John's birthday, but this program has really helped me.  I am seeing improvements that I really did not think could be possible.  Among a host of other things, my energy levels have greatly improved.  As someone who has struggled with fatigue since my teenage years, this is huge.  I have been able to get so much done, and that without feeling stressed or worn out.  It's a big deal, friends.

    My father-in-law gave me a stack of newspapers that he had been saving for me.  I use these along with vinegar to clean my mirrors and windows.  I made up another batch of my shower cleaner this week, which is 2 tablespoons of citric acid for every cup of hot water put into a spray bottle.  This works wonders.  It is the only thing that worked on our glass shower doors- homemade or commercial- when we had them.  Now I use it to clean my shower because it cuts through hard water spots so well.  I wouldn't use this on stone or marble, as it would have an etching effect like vinegar, and I think it has a bleaching effect too, so I'd be careful on colored grout.  We have white ceramic tile with white grout, so it comes out like new after a good scrub.  A friend has used this successfully on widows, as well, which get hard water spots from the sprinkler.  Just be sure to test in a small spot first. 

    I am happy to say that my washer and dryer have been hooked back up!  The laundry room is still just a shell, but my dad came over and helped Colton rewire some of the electricity and move the plumbing, so now it is at least operational.  It is so nice to be able to do laundry at home again- the things we take for granted!  

    I have picked up crafting again, and as it usually happens after neglecting it, I was surprised by how much I had missed it.  I made over some free notebooks we got.  One is the shopping book I showed on Thursday, and the other one I plan to use as a journal to record little things the boys do and say, little milestones they reach, and things of that nature. 


    A few jokes they have been telling me lately:

What do you call a snoring bull?

A bulldozer!

What do you call a cow with no legs?

Ground beef!

    { Italics and exclamation marks are necessary because the answers are shouted with enthusiasm every single time. }

    Outside, most things are struggling to survive the heat, including me when I'm out there!  My plants on the patio that I have in pots are doing well, though, especially the ones that are partly shaded.  There is new growth on the foxtail fern...


    My lantanas have a few blooms.  I love the purple variety...


    The post you see in the middle of the barrel holds up string lights.  I have three of these barrels on the patio, so the lights stretch across.  We get to enjoy these more in the cooler months.  It gets dark so late in the summer.

    In March, we added some guineas to our flock of chickens.  We have started getting little eggs from them!  Cooked up, they are bite size.


    John has declared them "the best bird ever."  We'd like to get some more, as a snake got into the guinea pen when they were small and only two survived. They will have to go in my shopping book under the "Homesteading" section until the budget allows for their purchase.

    Despite the heat, I got some bushes planted in the front flower beds.  I've had them a while and they were starting to suffer in their nursery pots.  I finally realized it was because the pots kept getting knocked over and the dirt was spilling out!  So I figured it was time to plant them.  This is the culprit responsible for knocking my pots over.  



    Isn't she cute, though?  She's our little Ginger Kitten.  Of course, she helped me plant the bushes.


    As you can see from the photo, the bushes are yellowed and look a bit poorly.  Hopefully they perk up once they get settled in their new home.  If they do, I'll share some photos.

    I hope everyone has a lovely weekend and feels rested and renewed for the week to come. I will be back with a craft post soon...


12 comments:

  1. So glad you have a book to write down the cute things the boys say and do and to log their milestones in. I did this with my niece and nephew and when they turned 18 their gift was a scrap book from me with all the cute things they said and did as a child along with pictures and memorabilia (the tickets from their 1st movie, etc). They both loved it (yes, even the nephew....lol). They are 31 and 27 now and they still have it and talk about it today. This could be something you could do for your boys. This post brought back some great memories for me. Thank you, I really do enjoy all your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the most beautiful gift, Cindy Jane! I am sure they will always treasure it as a special keepsake, and as a labor of love on your part. I can see a meaningful record like that being shared and passed down the generations. Now you have me thinking I need to make one for each of my boys!
      Thank you for your kind words. I am so glad you are enjoying the blog and appreciate you taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. First, I had asked about your citric acid recipe for cleaning your shower after reading your comment over on A Working Pantry. I see it's in this post, thank you.

    I love the idea of your shopping book and am looking forward to seeing how you put yours together.

    I also love the idea of recording things your kids say, I think I will borrow your idea and start one for the things my grands say.

    Your bushes will most likely do well in their new home with a little TLC.

    Don't you just love how one thing leads to another when we start working in one room. You did really well furnishing your boys' room. I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Patsi! Thank you for saying so. I think making a little book for your grandchildren is a great idea. I think everyone would enjoy looking back over something like that.
      As for the citric acid cleaner, it does work very well, but if the water spots are pretty bad or have been there for a while, I will spray the surface down heavily and walk away for about 15 minutes or so before I give it a good scrub. It still takes elbow grease, but every other cleaner I have ever tried didn't even seem to make a dent. I shared this with a friend and she had success too, so I feel confident in sharing it.

      Delete
  3. What a nice gift the beds were and the sheets are perfect! Seeing your cat "helping" you has reminded me of how much I need another cat (or two) around our little cottage. They are so fun to watch and play with and good for hunting all the things we don't need. I don't think my 12 year old dog feels the way I do though. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs a cat in my opinion, Debbie! Of course, I am a cat person, but you are right- they are entertaining little companions. I think I just about have my husband convinced of their usefulness and practicality when it comes to hunting, too!
      I hope you have a wonderful weekend, as well!

      Delete
  4. AnonymousJuly 23, 2023

    Kelsey the beds are perfect for the boys! The room re arrange and refresh is just lovely... I totally understand how one thing leads to another. Essentially the room is completely Spring cleaned! I am so happy you are back crafting and love the notebooks. If I stop crafting my family know something isn't right with me. When I get back to it I feel so much better and happier. Guinea eggs surprised me as they are so hard to crack! Newspaper is useful! I collect it if I can get it, along with shredded paper. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It feels so good to have everything spring cleaned. I know what you mean about crafting- something is usually wrong with me, too, if I'm not doing it!
      Yes, guinea eggs are so hard to crack. The first time I tried, I was surprised too. Colton heard me say, "Wow!" from the kitchen lol. I think I might try to drain some and clean them out. I have some birds nests that I could put them in as decor. This makes me think of you!

      Delete
  5. My college roommate used to date the garden editor of a well-known magazine. When I transplanted a shrub that was dried out, he told me to deep water it by putting a hose on it and letting it slowly drip, drip, drip for a couple of hours to overnight, depending on the size of the shrub. The bush recovered! I've used this a number of times over the years and it has worked every time to get moisture into a dried-out root ball. Works very well on any plant (including house plants) that are starting to droop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that tip!

      Delete
    2. Your kitten is very cute! I love our ginger cats.

      Delete
    3. Ginger has made herself right at home with us. We really enjoy her!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29