Thursday, May 25, 2023

Thrifty Thursday #7 ~ Marketing

    In my last blog post, I shared with you my trip to the antiques fair in Round Top.  Miles and miles of tents set up with vintage items and antiques was a feast for the eyes.  As we walked around and really looked closely at the items, however, I couldn't help but think that most of the stuff was what I would typically see at any thrift or antique store or find on Craigslist.  Granted, there were some unique items, and the sheer volume of things to look through made it a treasure hunt, but the key difference really came down to one thing: marketing.  That is what I want to talk to you about today.  My tip is:

Be aware of marketing tactics that may make a product look more desirable than it actually is.

    What I mean by this is to pay attention to the way things are packaged, displayed, and advertised.  Companies spend billions on researching what appeals to customers and what makes their product stand out on a shelf.  Marketing is an entire job field!  Knowing this, we need to look at products objectively for what they actually are.

    When you are shopping and are drawn to something, ask yourself what you like about it.  Is it the label or the way the item is packaged?  Is it because of the way the item is displayed in relation to the other items around it?  Is it simply the store's atmosphere or aesthetic that makes you want to purchase something?  I learned years ago that an item on a shelf in a store display is not going to look the same way when I get it home and put it among my own things!  Sometimes we just have to admire the beauty when we see it and move on.  I had to do this a lot at Round Top.  There is no way I would ever pay money for some old paintbrushes with dried paint on them, but somehow one seller made them look pretty by piling them on an antique plate, setting a glass cloche on top, and putting the display on a stack of vintage books.  It was all in the presentation- the marketing!

    When you see an item you like, "undress" it to see what it truly is.   Ask yourself if it would still stand out to you if it was unwrapped and sitting randomly on a thrift store shelf among a bunch of junk.  Sometimes the answer is "yes" and you found a treasure!  Other times, without the artful display, the item will have lost its luster and appeal (like old paintbrushes that nobody washed after using.)

    Now, the flipside to this is that we can use these marketing tactics to our own advantage.  My mom goes to Round Top every year but she never buys anything- she goes just for the ideas!  We can do the same thing when we shop, gaining ideas for the things we already have.  See how stores display their wares and try to figure out what makes things appealing to you so that you can recreate it with what you have at home for the same effect. Perhaps you can gain insight into what colors or textures work well together, whether it be for an outfit or home décor.  Maybe something you use every day, like soap or detergent or even food products, can get an upgrade in your home just by decanting them into different containers, such as a glass jar with a printable label and ribbon affixed.  

    Don't fall victim to the marketing strategies.  Instead, use them for frugal inspiration.  Once you see past the traps these companies set for you, you'll be able to turn the tables without spending a dime!
 

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Kelsey!
    That is such a great tip! Many times we look at the appearence of the package and when we bring it home, we realise we could have bought the same item for much less, at another store.
    These days I try to invest in quality items when I buy, but I try to look at the quality/life time/usage of the item, not only at the appearance.
    For example, I'm on the lookout for a new purse.
    But I want to buy a good one, so that I can wear it for many years to come.
    So, I'm searching for a leather one in brown and black (combined), so that I can use the same purse with black or brown shoes (I like to match!).
    It's taking time because I want to find one that I really like and they are expensive, so I prefer to wait and find the right one.
    Kelsey, can you do a post on how you decorate your home, what style you like more and where you get the decorations?
    I think we all learn from one another and I have to confesse I love decor tips and photos! :)
    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Investing in quality is such a wise strategy, Paula. Even though the item may be more expensive, it is worth it in the long run and worth waiting for exactly what you want. I think your new purse would last you many years. Being frugal isn't always about buying "cheaper", is it?
      I'd love to do a decorating post and plan to in the future, but right now I don't have very many photos. Things are a bit "bare bones" at the moment since we are starting almost from scratch. I love decor tips and photos too (and looking around at others' choices when I visit places)!

      Delete
    2. Exactly!
      Sometimes we, as christians and frugal wives, try to spend less or save in eveything, but how many times has that backfired, when the quality of an item we bought for cheap, ends up tearing or ripping and we have to buy another one?
      I think I don't have enought fingers in my hands, to count the times that happened to me... :S
      So, sometimes it's better to save and buy a quality item that will last us a life time in some cases.
      I know women that have dozens of purses and bags, but they are made of plastic, so they never last long and they have to buy them constantly.
      I prefer to have 1 leather shoulder bag in black and brown, that will go with everything.
      So, sometimes it's wiser to invest in quality (the best we each can, according to our possibilities), than to buy cheap, wich ends up being more expensive in the end.
      And about the decorating post, we'll wait! ;)
      Have a blessed week!
      :)

      Delete
  2. So, so true! How often does an order arrive from Amazon in a plain plastic bag and seem like it is crummy and cheap and not at all what I expected? My sister in law is a smart shopper who will purchase an item at Dollar Tree and take it out of the package and put it in a pretty gift box with pretty tissue and it looks like a beautiful gift just because of how she presents it.

    This week we were in need of a chair for the table at our lake house. I spotted a good thrift store and we stopped in there and found a great, sturdy and clean chair for $5.50. I had priced folding chairs at $30 each at Walmart so this was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to go the extra mile when it comes to gift wrap for that very reason! And it is still a very frugal way to take things up a step.
      I agree that online shopping can be tricky. You really never know what you're getting until you get it, and pictures (obviously taken by professional photographers and stylists) can be very deceptive.
      Great deal on the chair! Don't you just love it when things fall into place like that? A blessing indeed!

      Delete
  3. Yes ma'am! You are spot on and the sooner we realize that presentation is what makes things pop and draws our attention to the item, the better equipped we'll be to be a wiser shopper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Presentation is key- we just have to learn to use it to our own advantage!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29