Thursday, February 09, 2023

Thrifty Thursday #3 ~ Thrift Store Guidelines


    Welcome to another Thrifty Thursday!  Since the last two Thursdays have seen me do quite a bit of thrifting, I thought I would share more about how I navigate my thrifting purchases.  Today's tip is:

Set boundaries for yourself before you go thrifting to avoid excessive buying and spending.

    This tip can actually apply to all shopping, but in this instance I'm talking specifically about thrifting because it can be so easy to be lured in by a bargain!  I have no issues putting a $20 item back on the shelf without a second thought, but when that same item is $2?  That's when I need some guidelines.

    Obviously, the first rule is to not go over budget.  As any frugal lady knows, those $1 or $2 purchases can add up quickly.  You put stuff in your cart thinking, "Oh, what a deal!"  But when you get to the register, you wonder how the total got so high.  So set a realistic budget for yourself and be sure to keep track of your total as you shop.

    Next, I ask myself two questions when I find an item that I consider purchasing:

    What am I going to do with it? and Where am I going to put it when I get home?

    I am someone who strongly dislikes clutter.  I have a lot of responsibilities at home, and I prefer not to spend my time and energy shuffling stuff around because it doesn't have a specific home or purpose.  That just needlessly adds to my to-do list and gets in the way of living peacefully in my home.

    So I ask myself what I'm going to do with the item.  Is it practical?  Does it have a purpose?  Will I actually use it?  Do I have something else at home that can accomplish the same purpose (provided that I am not purchasing something as a backup)?

    Sometimes, the object I want doesn't serve a purpose other than to be aesthetically pleasing, and that's ok too!  I like pretty things, and they add beauty and comfort to a home.  But I ask myself where I'm going to put it, and I don't mean in that pile by the door where everything gets dumped when you walk in!  That adds to those ever-shifting, homeless clutter piles.  As the saying goes, "A place for everything, and everything in its place."  

    Do I have the space, or will I need to declutter something to accommodate the item?  Is it worth getting rid of something (money-wise or time-wise) that I already own to make space for something I want to purchase?  If it's something like a picture, do I know where I'm going to hang it, or do I at least have several possibilities?  Let your space be your guide, and be realistic about whether something is going to add pleasure or add unnecessary frustration to your home.

    Additionally, question the value and condition of the item.  I've actually seen things that are more expensive at thrift stores than big box stores.  Though I do realize it depends on the particular thrift store, canning jars seem to be a prime example of this.  (And consider that the new jars also come with new lids!) Other things may appear to be a good deal, but when you take into consideration the quality or condition of the item, you may find that you won't get much use out of it.  I recently passed up a denim skirt that was only a couple dollars.  I liked the style and it was my size, but I could see that the fabric was faded in spots and wearing thin.  I could've delegated it to garden work, but even then I knew I wouldn't get much wear out of it.  I'd rather put my money towards something better.  Those dollars add up, remember?  So exercise wisdom and restraint; be picky and selective.

    When you follow these guidelines, thrifting is a frugal, fun way to add to your home.  You will end up with nice, unique things that you were able to purchase inexpensively.  You may even get comments from others like, "You got that at a thrift store?"  

    Do you have any thrift store tips?  What are some of your best/favorite thrift store finds?

~

I have decided that in order to keep these posts from being too lengthy, I am going to start listing the ways I save in a monthly review type of post.  But not to worry- I will still be listing a savings tip each Thrifty Thursday.  I have a lot of them!



6 comments:

  1. Kelsey, those are some good common-sense tips that each of us thrifting gals need a reminder of every once in a while. I have a cash rule when it comes to thrifting, only use a pre-planned cash amount that I take with me and never ever swipe a card! This allows me to enjoy thrifting, know my boundaries and not feel guilty afterwards for overspending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only using cash is a good rule, Patsi! Our local thrift store only accepts cash, and that has certainly influenced my purchases for the better. Swiping that card would make it a little too convenient!

      Delete
  2. Since we are retired I am always with my husband and his first question is where are you going to put it? I have to have a place or agree to get rid of something else. I often put things in my cart and then at the end of shopping I revisit every item and most of the time I put them all back because they are just not the same to me when they are in the cart as opposed to on the shelf with other pretty things. Things really have to pass muster for me to actually spend my money on them. Hubby has a thrift store list in his phone and he always reads it to me as we are walking into the store which is a good reminder of what we actually need and are looking for that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, I do the same thing and "edit" my cart before I check out, often putting many things back. I actually have that written down for a future Thrifty Thursday post! That is funny that your husband asks you where you are going to put stuff- those two questions I ask myself when thrifting are actually from Colton, and they've stayed with me. He's just trying to help, he says. 😅 I have to admit, it does help.

      Delete
  3. As you know I love thrifting! Some stores have lost their minds and charge new prices so I dont even go to them any more. I still have a few though that are old fashioned prices. With the price of fabric and cottons etc being very expensive now these stores are where I look for fabrics, craft items etc I can use. Over time I have built up a good supply and I am so glad as I can decide to sew something and go to my cupboard and I have a selection of fabrics to choose from. I also watch for items that could be very valuable in other ways... like manual mixers, manual can openers, lanterns, wicks, cast iron... jars... my list goes on. I even keep a section in my supplies of things I could trade with. If I find good clothes for children I will get them and if they are too big for now I keep them in my stash which I go through a few times a year then give the appropriate sizes out. I like to stay ahead as kids grow faster than you think! I guess I think in terms of what will add value/save money and be an advantage to have... rather than things that are just decorative. Also I generally dont like department stores at all and dont even consider them but thrift stores are fun and you can really find treasures! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you have shared here, Annabel! I have found that the smaller, local charity shops are much better priced than the chains or those in big cities. It has gotten ridiculous at some places.
      Like you, I also watch for children's clothes and often buy larger sizes, knowing they will eventually be worn. I keep totes up in the attic and those come out before buying anything new.
      I like that you shop in terms of supplies. I always look for craft and sewing supplies at thrift stores, and I learned this from you!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29