Sunday, February 12, 2023

A Turn About the Property

 

"Miss Bennet, there seemed to be a prettyish kind of a little wilderness on one side of your lawn.  I should be glad to take a turn in it, if you will favor me with your company."

~ Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 

    It just so happens that I have a prettyish kind of a little wilderness on all sides of my lawn.  It may not be the glorious English countryside, but it has its own form of beauty, and it is certainly good for taking a turn.  Will you favor me with your company?  I won't be nearly as disagreeable as Lady Catherine, for I have no nephews to whom you may be engaged.




    Our home is to the left of this path.  You may be able to see a fence among the trees in that direction.  That is our backyard fence.  What you can't see in the photo is a water trough, but there is one there and if the cows are in that particular pasture, they come up daily to drink.  I hold James up to the window so he can see them if we aren't outside.

    Looking over my father-in-law's property from part of our driveway, this is our view.  We are nicely situated up on a hill-  a hill, at least, for our area.





    I know it doesn't look much like winter.  In south Texas, we alternate between cold spells and pleasant weather this time of year.  I think the plants get confused.

    Do you call them weeds or wildflowers?


    
    On the opposite side of the house lies the pasture where our chickens usually forage.  By the time I had taken the photos, they were headed back to the coop to get a drink before roosting for the night.




    And finally, behind our home is the acre that my father-in-law gave us last year. 



    The ground doesn't look like much at this point because it was covered in brush that we had cleared.  Colton keeps spraying the small brush that emerges (this is ongoing where we live), and eventually we will get a fence up and sow grass seed.  We want a peach orchard and some sort of dairy animal.  That is all still a way off, so we will see what we end up deciding.  It is fun to dream of the different possibilities in the meantime.

    I hope you enjoyed this little tour of my "wilderness".  What sort of beauty is there where you live right now?

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing! I call them flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lana! I call them flowers, too.

      Delete
  2. I call them flowers. Enjoyed the tour. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so peaceful and serene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is, Patsy. I'm happy to say we've been enjoying some beautiful weather- definitely a foretaste of spring!

      Delete
  4. Everything is so peaceful and serene!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An acre of your own is awesome and yes so many possibilities! Your home is in a beautiful location and surrounds!! Just lovely! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful, Kelsey. It must be wonderful for the children. They have lots of space- and wonderful for the adults too! Being in nature is so soothing X Love Bridget (Lily)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lily! I agree that nature is so soothing. The boys love it. I think James especially would live outside if he could!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29