Saturday, March 11, 2023

Our First Project of 2023: Part 1

     As you may have guessed from my posting on Thursday, the boys and I are feeling much better.  Thank you so much for your prayers!  It is so nice to be able to get back to the things we enjoy.  The weather has been beautiful, especially in the mornings and evenings, so we are turning our thoughts towards outdoor projects.  Colton has some vacation time this month from both of his jobs, so we are going to try and make the most of it!  Working on projects together is fun for us, so it's a win/win.  I'm sure we'll have some downtime, too, though.  Maybe.

    For our first project, we are tackling this little spot:



    This is in the garden to the side of my garden shed.  Behind it through the screen door, is the chicken run.  (The metal building is the coop.)  Initially, the chicken run fence started at the front of the shed, but since our chickens free range anyway and we wanted more garden space, we moved the fence to the back end of the shed last year.



    It created this little nook, which has actually turned out to be more awkward than anything.  I thought about planting herbs and flowers around the perimeter and adding a picnic table or seating area in the middle, but it never happened.  About all that has ever grown here is stinging nettle.  In reality, I am not very good at a cottage-style garden layout, as much as I absolutely love the way it looks.  My mind operates better with orderly rows.  And living where we do, I always have snakes on my mind when the weather heats up.  Lots of bushy plants on the ground are perfect hiding spots.  

    So what to do?  Can you guess?



Maybe another photo will help...




    Colton is building me raised beds!  I'm really excited about this project.  As crazy as the last year (two, really) has been, I haven't been able to have a garden like I normally do.  I've missed it so much.  I think this will be much easier for me to manage for the time being. Eventually, I might give the boys their own little section of the beds to grow things in.  In any case, I think this is a good use of the space.

    So far, we (when I say we, I actually mean Colton) have leveled the area, put down black plastic, and built the frames for the beds.  We already had the dirt for leveling from another project we did last year.  We also already had the black plastic.  Someone at work gave Colton a huge roll, and we just set it aside for "just in case".  We always seem to have projects, so we gladly accept free materials when offered!  We did buy the lumber, but the price is surprisingly coming down, which is nice.  

    Stay tuned for progress reports!

6 comments:

  1. This is going to be so nice! I'm with you about bushy plants on the ground and snakes. I think our weather and climate are pretty similar, so I totally understand about ALWAYS being on the lookout for snakes! I will be watching for updates on your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colton and I are both really excited about this little area! Yes, every outdoor feature and landscaping decision is made with snakes in mind. I've killed two rattlesnakes in our time here- Colton has killed several. When the weather gets warm, I always do a walk around before I let the boys go outside. That is also one of our main reasons for having dogs! I wish it weren't so, but snakes are just a reality here and we just have to be vigilant.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Kelsey!
    I'm glad you and the boys are feeling better!
    We don't have snakes in our balcony (we live in an apartment bulding), but I would feel the same. ;)
    Snakes are sneaky!
    I bet that garden will be amazing and can't wait to see the final result!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raised beds will be fantastic! I have had more success in containers and raised beds than anything else. I see you are on a break while Colton is home to work on projects so I cant wait to see everything you achieve! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is fantastic. I never had good garden results till I had my raised beds put in 4 years ago. You will love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry! I'm hoping they do well and are easier to manage. I saw your garden over on your blog and love everything you have growing. It's all so pretty!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please keep your comments kind.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29